Old Brooklynites (and neighboring areas) understand. If you ain't from Brooklyn, just forget this; you wouldn't understand. Some is for older, some is for younger. You're truly from Brooklyn if you can relate to any of the following:
1. Alternate side of the street parking.
2. Ate at Chock Full O' Nuts Shops (date nut bread and powdered donuts that were crunchy).
3. Ate dinner every Sunday night at Fong Fongs on Church Avenue.
4. Ate Italian food at Collaro's on Coney Island Ave.
5. Bought bobka at the original Ebingers on Flatbush Avenue, or at Butterbun on Nostrand Ave. 6. Bought Ebinger's Black-Out Cake (and didn't count the calories)
7. Bought knishes from Mrs. Stahls in Brighton, or Ruby the Kinish Man.
8. Bought knishes on the beach and didn't mind the sand.
9. Bought pickles out of a barrel. The salt made you pucker.
10.Can name all the Brooklyn High Schools. Just try and do that today (impossible).
11.Don't speak with an accent - everybody else does.
12.Drove over the Marine Park Bridge for a 10-cent toll, and Brooklyn Battery Tunnel for 35 cents.
13.Everybody knows somebody from the neighborhood, even if it is your mother's cousin's son-in-law's sister's boyfriend.
14.Got a "Kitchen Sink" at Jahn's.
15.Got a J.D. card and feeling like Al Capone.
16.Had a prom date at the Club Elegante.
17.Had roller skates with keys.
18.Hand ball in the park.
19.Hit two sewers in punch ball.
20.It's not the "shore", its the "beach" idiot.
21.Kings Plaza.... how come we get the crappy mall?
22.Knew who the neighborhood wise guy was, but you'd never tell the cops.
Want to see more of these pearls? http://www.brooklyn-usa.org/Pages/Remberberwhen.htm
Reprinted from the official Brooklyn Borough President's Website.